How can stereotypes influence a career choosing process?
The aim – awareness how stereotypes can influent process of choosing of career.
- Activity – Career Guidant gives 10 popular professions and asks clients within 10 seconds to mention/write down the most common stereotypes regarding those professions. Afterwards – discussion how those stereotypes could influent a person to choose one of those professions.
- Activity Collage- Client receives list of professions and should find appropriate pictures, photos in magazines regarding those professions. Afterwards fallows discussion regarding the collage
- Movie “7 Stories about us”
4. Discussion regarding the role of stereotypes in the process of career development.
- NAVIGUIDE – Methodological material regarding career guidance in groups. http://viaa.gov.lv/files/news/727/viaa_naviguide_interactive.pdf (page 48., ex.2.4.14. Prejudice and professions, page 27.ex. 2.2.18.The professions for men and women)
- Practical individual and group tasks concerning the impact of social environment and social roles on career decisions.
- Most commonly used stereotypes and ways to overcome them.
- Identify strenghts and areas requiring improvement.
- Autobiography and self-characterization.
- The Big Five Personality Test.
- Analyses of the videos
- Filmed material, tips for effective job search: http://www.ldb.lt/jaunimui/naudinga/Puslapiai/video_patarimai.aspx
- Interviews with immigrant students in the icelandic courses
- Making discussion about the career proffessions, excpessing there needs and priorets